Circle the entire country on the Ring Road, stopping along the way to see most of Iceland's most popular attractions, as well as some hidden secrets. Our shorter trip is great for those with limited time, while the longer itinerary affords more time to take in the beauty or to spend a couple of nights in the same location for a more relaxed trip.
- Drive around the whole island of Iceland!
- Visit the Golden Circle- the mighty Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir geothermal area (where the Strokkur geyser erupts every 5-10 minutes), and Thingvellir, where Iceland's parliament was established (the world's oldest parliament) and where the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates converge unlike anywhere else in the world.
- Enjoy swimming in Iceland! Hike to a hot spring river, visit geothermal pools, and soak in hidden hot springs.
- Visit black sand beaches, spectacular canyons, and several glacial lagoons full of icebergs.
- Delight in fresh seafood in Höfn, the lobster capital of Iceland, and visit Akureyri, Iceland's second largest city and the main city in the North.
- Stop by Lake Myvatn, Iceland's famous lake that is home to a wide variety of wildlife, and visit a puffin nesting site to get up close to one of Iceland's most iconic birds.
- Discover Iceland's most beautiful waterfalls such as Skogafoss, Dettifoss, and Seljalandsfoss, a waterfall you can walk behind!
- Stay at comfortable accommodations, including a guesthouse in the quaint fishing town of Höfn and a charming farmhouse with a hot tub and sauna.
- Additional activities available for a fee (such as snowmobiling or hiking on a glacier, whitewater rafting, horseback riding, whale watching, etc. Click here for a more extensive list of optional activities).
Ring Road Pricing
The prices listed are sample prices for your reference- since all of our self drive tours are customized, your trip may cost more or less than the prices listed. Tours for a number other than 2 or 4 people are possible- pricing will vary depending on the number of rooms desired. If you have questions about the self drive tours, check out our Self Drive FAQs or contact us.
To book your trip, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention the trip you are interested in, as well as how many people, what dates, and whether you prefer standard or upgraded rooms. Please include any additional information that you would like to include about the trip.
Includes: Appropriate sized car rental with unlimited miles, comfortable accommodations with private bathrooms, taxes/fees for car rental and lodging, fuel discount card (also gives you free coffee and discounts on food at select gas stations), Iceland guide book and customized itinerary suggestions. We also provide an iPhone pre-loaded with a variety of Apps to make your trip as enjoyable as possible- including maps for over 75 hikes, a custom map with all of your hotels/restaurants/points of interest programmed, maps of ATMs, grocery stores, restaurants, and gas stations throughout Iceland, GPS navigation, Icelandic music, books on Iceland, and more. Unlimited data and texting are included, and you can make calls for a small fee.
Does not include: Airfare, fuel/gasoline, meals, excursions/activities (suggestions will be provided for both free and paid activities based on your selected trip), personal travel insurance, any other item not mentioned above under "Includes".
About the prices: The quoted prices are per person, based on double occupancy. Prices are subject to change- the price may vary depending on time of year (quoted prices are for high season (summer) travel, winter prices may be lower), how far in advance the trip is booked, as well as availability at preferred accommodations. Lower prices are available if you are interested in staying at accommodations with shared bathrooms, and/or at hostels. Any of our self-drive itineraries can be customized for you- please contact us with any requests for modifications.
About the car rental: For two travelers, the quoted price includes a mini car (Chevy Spark or similar model). For four travelers, the quoted price includes a compact car (Opel Astra or similar model). The rentals include unlimited miles and will be equipped with a GPS navigation device (or a mobile internet hot spot if preferred). Car rental pickup and drop off is from downtown Reykjavik; rentals to/from Keflavik Airport are possible for a slightly higher rate. Additional drivers, larger cars, and 4WD vehicles are available for an additional fee. The rental does not include insurance, but you can add enhanced protection (loss damage waiver, gravel protection, and sand/ash protection) for a fee. You can also rent a phone from us for your trip which comes with unlimited 4G data, free texting to any phone in the world, a variety of pre-loaded apps to enhance your stay in Iceland, and the ability to make calls for $0.20 per minute.
About the accommodations: Both the standard and upgraded room options include rooms with private bathrooms. Accommodations are in guesthouses, farmhouses, apartments, or cottages. These are considered to be "comfort" lodging options in Iceland- they are not budget nor luxury. Some include shared or private hot tubs. If you select the upgraded room option, at least two nights will be at a 3 or 4 star hotel that includes breakfast. Further details will be given when we are provided with your trip dates and we can check availability at our preferred lodgings.